April 12, 2015

Don't Shop, Adopt

Today, I'm doing a post about something that is very close to my heart. And before I get started, this is my opinion. I am not looking for debates or opposition. This is just my way of saying how I feel, telling it how it is, and if you disagree, well, write about it in your own blog. ;)

As most of you who follow me know, I have a very strong stance on adopting from shelters when it comes to pets. Nearly 3 million, let me say that again, THREE MILLION, dogs and cats are euthanized every year in the U.S. alone. Let that number sink in just a bit..

We live in a day and age where people HAVE access to become educated on these issues. These days, people can't play the "oh I had no idea" card. But in an effort to give anyone who doesn't know about these issues another chance to learn, or those who think it's better to get a puppy from a breeder, I'm going to reiterate again why it's so important to adopt.

When you adopt, you're not only saving the life of that specific animal, but saving the life of another animal who can then be rescued.

Let's now get on to the awful and absolutely disgusting thing that is.. puppy mills. A factory operation of breeding and mass producing puppies. Breeding on a very large scale and keeping animals in very inhumane conditions leading to sick, disabled puppies, starting off life in a very hard place. These mills do not care about the well being of these puppies, it is completely for profit. Puppies from puppy mills can be found at pet stores, also in online classifieds, newspaper classifieds, even at events and markets. The lies that these places will tell could be anything from claiming they aren't from puppy mills, but rather, "USDA licensed breeders" or fake their "papers". You might think to yourself that those puppies at stores or online need homes too. True, but continued support to these breeders and mills will only promote them to keep producing more and more puppies, leading to more and more animals in shelters, and more and more euthanization. The best solution, don't buy from stores, don't buy online, don't BUY. Period. The demand for those dogs will be less and less, the more that people stick to adoption. Then, at some point, that I pray happens sooner than later, these puppy mills and irresponsible breeders will disappear.

In my eyes, breeders, responsible or not, serve zero purpose in our society right now. There is no need whatsoever to be insensibly producing more and more animals when there are so many that, every single day, they are being put to sleep because there aren't enough homes. I far too often come across pet stores or "family owned" businesses that sell pets. Every single time I am absolutely sickened that places like that even exist. Please don't be swayed to think it's ok to buy your pets from places like that. Places like that are only promoting people who have nothing better to do to put their pets at home to work by producing litter after litter of babies for profit or giving puppy mills a reason to stay in business. AGAIN, THERE ARE ENOUGH ANIMALS IN THE WORLD. WE DON'T NEED TO KEEP PRODUCING.

This next paragraph may be a touchy one. I constantly see people buying puppies from breeders when they're not even weened. For one reason or another, maybe because they want a "pure bred", or they want a very young puppy, or they want to have some fun experience of "choosing" their puppy and having the excitement of waiting until it becomes old enough to take it home. Now guess what? YOU CAN HAVE ALL OF THOSE THINGS BY ADOPTING FROM A SHELTER. I don't know where the idea that you couldn't have those things got into people's heads, but it is completely untrue. Purebreds end up in shelters just like mixed breeds. Puppies are in shelters just as often as older dogs. And tell me, why is, say, a 9 year old dog a bad thing? Or a 12 year old dog? 14? Why is it ok to let these older dogs spend their golden years being homeless and feeling unwanted? Guess what? These dogs don't need to be potty trained. They don't need a million walks every day. They like naps and they like snuggling.

Adopting from a shelter typically costs somewhere between $50-$200. They will be up to date on vaccines, they will be spayed/neutered and they will have been examined by experienced vets.

I thank God that people are becoming more educated about this. And I pray that people know and get the idea ingrained in their heads that shelter animals are not unwanted, used and unworthy animals. They are the best thing that will ever happen to you. They will love you when no one else will. They will tolerate your craziness, they will comfort you, they'll also forgive you.


This HERE is the face of a shelter dog. He, and many others, were and are, bused in from overflowing shelters across the country. Kracken specifically came from California. Back in 2012, Alex and I were looking to add another member to our family. I remember the exact moment I saw him on the Humane Society's website. I melted. He was a puppy, who came here to Utah with a few other siblings. We drove up to the Humane Society the very next morning and asked for "Cooper", his name at the time. He was being fostered, and the kind woman who was fostering him hadn't yet arrived that morning. We sat there excitedly, waiting about 30 minutes to meet him. Then, we saw him for the first time. I just started crying. We filled out all the paperwork and finalized the adoption.


And this HERE is the face of a dog who was going to end up at the shelter. I definitely didn't know jack about animal welfare and animal rights or even what puppy mills were back in 2006. My mom and I found Pee Wee in the newspaper and decided to go see him. The family who was selling him did not have their dogs fixed and what happened is what will always happen, puppies will be born. They were not breeders, just a mishap with not having their other dogs fixed. I was literally a month out of high school at that point. I had wanted a dog, more specifically, a Chihuahua, my whole life. I remember driving home and Pee Wee looking out the window. Looking back, I had no idea how to take care of a dog. But Pee Wee would go everywhere with me. The grocery store (at that point in time they would let me, these days they won't), to Starbucks, I'd even just take him driving with me. Wherever I was, he was. I can't even fathom that we've been together for 9 years.

And very lastly, here's a photo of me taking blankets to the Humane Society of Utah. I also made the decision to set aside a portion of my income to donate to different shelters and sanctuaries.

(very crappy iPhone shot)

It is extremely hard for me to talk about these issues, but I know it must be done. If I can educate or enlighten ONE person because of it, that could mean one less homeless animal.

Please look into wonderful organizations like The Humane Society of Utah, Best Friends Animal Society, Furburbia, or even your local shelter. If you're not looking for a long term commitment, go to these shelters and play with the dogs. Foster them for a weekend. Take them for a walk. Seriously there are so many options! Get out and make some memories and do something you'll remember forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment